Madrid, Aug 5 (EFE). Tennis star Rafael Nadal's recovery from a wrist injury "is going in the expected direction" following a checkup at the Mapfre Tennis Medicine Clinic in Barcelona, the Spanish Royal Tennis Federation, or RFET, said Tuesday.
Dr. Angel RuizCotorro, the player's personal physician and clinic director, Dr. Jaume Vilaro and Dr. Ramon Balius examined Nadal's wrist and found that his recovery was on schedule.
The 28yearold Nadal, the world No. 2, will have to continue undergoing regular evaluations, the doctors said.
Nadal hurt his right wrist while practicing on July 30 and was forced to pull out of the Canadian Open and the tournament in Cincinnati.
The Spanish star said in a Twitter posting Monday that he was "training these days, always optimistic" despite the injury to his right wrist.
Nadal plans to return to action at the U.S. Open, which starts on Aug. 25.
The Spanish star swept the major North American hardcourt tournaments in 2013, defeating Canadian Milos Raonic in the final of the Canadian Open, played last year in Montreal; American John Isner in the Cincinnati final; and current world No. 1 Novak Djokovic of Serbia in the U.S. Open championship match.
Known for his physically demanding style of play and outstanding defensive skills, the 14time Grand Slam singles champion has struggled to stay healthy during his career and been forced to miss each of the four Grand Slam events in past years due to various injuries.